Should you be using a soap bar or a body wash?
There are so many reasons why a body wash is way better than the average bar of soap. Although body cleansers aren’t as old as soaps, they’re often more effective and can yield better skincare results than your regular bar of soap. Bar soaps leave a squeaky-clean feeling fresh out of the shower. While some people like this extra-clean feel, others have noticed that it can also be stripping and overly drying for the skin.
There is some truth here. Many bar soaps on the market contain sodium lauryl sulfate, a surfactant that can strip away the body’s natural oils. Plus, they usually have a high pH - around 9-10 - while the body’s pH is usually slightly acidic, resting at around a pH of 5-6. This combination of harsh chemicals and high pH can change the skin’s texture and cause irritation as your skin tries to battle its way back to its comfortable pH - not great. Whereas Body washes have a smooth lather and is less harsh towards the skin. It moisturizes the body and cleans away the dirt.
In many ways body wash is more preferable then a bar soap. Below are then reasons:
- Luscious lather- Probably the greatest of the benefits of body wash is the ability to delve into that indulging, loofah-lather shower experience. As long as you keep your shower tools clean, rest assured you will leave the shower with skin feeling pampered and renewed.
- Travel-friendly- Soap bars may fit in just about any crevice, but they aren’t the most travel-friendly formats. One of the benefits of body wash is that you don’t need to wrap a slippery soap bar up with paper and transport it in a bag. Just close the body wash bottle lid and pack away!
- Body wash for dry skin-Most body washes contain skin-softening emollients, which ultimately keep your skin hydrated and full of moisture. If your dry skin needs moisture, then a creamy body wash will surely smooth your skin and won’t aggravate it while lathering. Try our new Rosehip and Patchouli Body Wash for the perfect remedy for dry skin.
- Body wash for sensitive skin- Body wash has a liquid consistency and is usually infused with foaming agents that produce a lather when put in contact with water. Certain foaming ingredients, like those with sulfate cleansers, tend to aggravate delicate skin. However, as long as you choose a product with plant-based ingredients in its formula and without strong foaming agents, body wash can be a great option for those with sensitive skin. If you are looking for body wash for sensitive skin, rest assured that all of Love Beauty and Planet sulfate free body washes are infused with plant-based cleansers. Oh, and our sulfate free bar soaps too!
- All-over hydration- As bar soaps are often drying and can be a bit harsh to use on the face, the hydrating and moisturizing benefits of body wash means you can lather anywhere you’d like - including your face and without the worry!